AOS Orchid Forum

AOS Orchid Forum (http://www.aos.org/index.php)
-   Orchid Photos (http://www.aos.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dendrobium falconeri 'Winty'....R.I.P. (http://www.aos.org/showthread.php?t=796)

Pantoufle 06-14-2009 10:34 AM

Dendrobium falconeri 'Winty'....R.I.P.
 
1 Attachment(s)
This was one of my favorite dendrobium species. It grew well and flowered for five years but then one hot summer it just died, suddenly. Has anyone had success with this species?

Tuvoc-Rno 06-14-2009 12:52 PM

What a lovely thing. Unfortunately, I've never had any luck with Dendros.

Kim

Marci in SoFL 06-14-2009 04:06 PM

Oh, what a shame. I'm not great with Dens either. Did you by chance happen to change its location? I had a lovely Den Andree Millar that bloomed faithfully for years until I moved its position, after which it promptly went downhill.

KellyW 06-14-2009 04:21 PM

Dendrobium falconeri
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have had mine for about 5 years also and it blooms nicely every spring. Mine is mounted and I water it daily in the summer. In the winter I give it a dry, cold rest with NO water for about 2 months. It likes a good chill so I take it out of the greenhouse on nights that will be cool but not cold enough to frost. I begin watering it in the spring the same time I start watering all of my winter rest species.

I have attached a photo of blooms from mine. Good luck!

Ricardo in PR 06-14-2009 10:48 PM

A most frustrating species. Will grow weakly and survive under unsuitably tropical conditions but will not prosper or bloom. I cared for one for about six years. It would grow during the cooler winter months, albeit weakly, only to stop growing or even die back in the hot summer months. It needs lots of watering to do well but deteriorated if I tried to grow it in a pot. I grew it in a cinder block that was halfway submerged in a pool under saran cloth. Under these conditions it survived the searing heat of high summer, but just barely.

Eventually it dissolved into a mass of keikis that deteriorated exceedingly slowly. What really upset me was that in spans of colder weather it was indeed able to achieve significant grow only to stop producing growths and most important, roots, when hot weather came back.

Recommended only for those with the appropriate growing temperatures or those that need to have a few infuriatingly difficult plants around to relieve the satisfaction given by the vigorous growers.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.